Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Tarantula Prop Slop

So something has been bothering me about my lovely Tarantula quads..
Prop slop - the motion the blade can have without moving the drive shaft or engaging the gears of the motor.. Uggg it's friggin terrible and honestly I believe it feeds back a lot of the jello and vibration in video when flying with a cam. Even when brand new there is actually a rather large amount of it, and we all assumed it's the prop/screw interface... Well, it's not!  I took a deep depth look at a VERY sloppy one on the Frankenspider and found a few things.

  • ONE- the screw is holding to the prop just fine, it's the hole in the drive shaft that is too big. causing a bit of motion before the screw contacts the drive shaft and feeds back as play out at the end of the prop.  
  • TWO- the actual lower gear is also slipping a bit on the drive shaft, no where near as much, as the screw goes all the way through, but, it's movement amplifies any slop up top.

   Well I fix it, (at least temporarily) so there is close to zero slop.. and what little is left is the actual gear interface. how? Very simply..
   On the bottom gear I took a drop of crazy glue and dripping it right inside the drive shaft and using one of the smallest Zip ties I stuck the point in and kinda swished it around the inner area of the screw and drive shaft interface, and the little glue stuck to the tie wrap tip I ran around the outer edge on the bottom of the gear and drive shaft (obviously don't do the top because the glue can screw with the bearing and glue it if not dry and even if dry it could mess the "face" of the gear and how it sits on the bearing/bushing)
   The top took a bit more brain power but is actually pretty easy once I thought about it. instead of filling the hole which I was thinking of maybe a drop of solder then filing down smooth.. I stuck the pointed end of the zip tie in the top of the shaft, added another to fill the space more and snipped then off flush.  Now when I tighten up the prop screw it pushes the zip tie tips and claps everything stiff (think bicycle seat post clamp) 

video of how it's done..

(note I forgot to turn on mic so just did text and added music for fun )



   Just did a quick flight and watching the video it has smoothed out a LOT .. (will edit up and post later)  don't get me wrong, it's still not 100% but it's defiantly better. Especially in descents where even with my anti vibe setup I'd still get heavy vibration and jello.

   Now you could probably use anything inside the upper tube to fill it.  Even thinking a Q-tip with some glue or something to harden it, maybe even a bit of softer epoxy (remember the screw still needs to get through)  I'm sure someone will come up with a better method.. but this might get them thinking!

If Prop slop bothers you, give it a try. Honestly, you probably can't make it any worse!!  LOL

3 comments:

  1. Since I have changed our some of the large gears/prop shafts, I used one of the long screws from the gear and used it to secure the prop and that took care of the prop slop...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tried that myself, one issue is they are larger dia and if you don't open up the hole a tad, after just a flight or 2 the prop shaft cracks... and still need to glue the bottom as 2 of mine were worse at the gear than at the prop.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete